Wednesday, 18 June 2014

Trying Again?

As intimated in this post I didn't want to wait too long before I give IVF another shot.

The husband and I have agreed that we don't want to do another full round of IVF so if I have another child it will either be thanks to one of the two frozen embryos I have left, or a unexpected natural conception (and if its the latter, and a girl, I'm totally calling her Phoebe - or Freebe).

Ideally a two year gap works but, holy shit, for a two year gap I'd need to get a wriggle on - I'd need to get pregnant in October.

I've not been idle. In January I went for another womb scrape to check the nasties that had hung around in there before hadn't reappeared - I got the all clear so last month I trotted off to the Doc to get a plan for the next round of IVF.

We were talking about timings and I mentioned I was still breast feeding - I knew I'd need to stop before IVF but what I hadn't counted on was that my Doctor wants me to have three period before the next round. Knowing how reluctant my periods are to show themselves she said that once I stopped breastfeeding I should give her a call and get some drugs to bring on a period about a month after then, then do that for two more months.

Immediately I started to panic wondering how quickly I could stop breast feeding and whether I could meet my self-imposed deadline of October.

Then I breathed.

There is no panic or rush.  My embryos are frozen they aren't getting any older.

More importantly I have the most amazing daughter already. I would love another child but if it doesn't happen I know how incredibly lucky I am to have one, specifically to have her. Why should I rush to stop breast feeding when she loves it? And she really does love the boob. There was I thinking noone could love my breasts more than the husband, she puts his passion to shame when she gleefully clamps on guzzling away. Maybe it is hereditary. So I decided to chill out and see when breastfeeding peters out naturally.

Then she got teeth.

And sharp, grabby finger nails, that like to dig into my soft booby flesh.

Today I called a halt to daytime breast feeding.

I can't see the nighttime feed lasting too much longer either.

I don't think I'll quite make the October deadline to stop feeding and have three periods but I might not be too far off.





10 comments:

  1. They do learn to stop biting, you know. :) Enjoy that beautiful girl - make another if you can. Much luck in however it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny sometimes how things seem to work themselves out just as we let go of them. Some say it's fate, I prefer to think I was just right all long :) wishing you all the best as you jump back in the saddle, I won't be too far behind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah those grabby little fingers. Great incentive for me to keep little nails in check. And um, has she not tried to find the other nipple with her fingers? Suzy seems to think she should be allowed to play with it...
    That's why I like that end-of-night feed best: everyone still sleepy, together in the big bed, no hurry, no pinching...
    Don't know if the milk will keep coming in on just the one feed, we'll see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cop to being one of those extreme nursers that nursed each of my kids until they turned 4. And both times it was MY idea, so maybe I was just blessed with booby monsters. I was always so worried about my milk supply drying up while on business trips, and here I am, 7 months with nary a nibble, and I STILL have some milk.

      I also nursed during my second pregnancy, which I would highly discourage anyone from doing. I don't have one nice thing to say about tandem nursing either.

      Delete
  4. Oooh! Best wishes on TTC #2! My doctor also had me have 3 cycles before starting again and here I am already 16 weeks due first of December! First cycle trying worked! Who knew i could be a statistic?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending you all kinds of good thoughts on getting another just like the first. Sounds like you're pretty good at making extra special babies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the TTC! We said we wanted kids pretty close together and boy does that creep up on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best luck on TTC#2. Hope you'll soon have 2 little kiddos running around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you're mad to go for such a short gap, but good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, time has flown. Can you believe you're at this stage already?! Yeah, those teeth are sods at times.

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!